✧ thrifting ✦

I love love love thrift shopping. Here in Korea, there’s an underground vintage/thrift market in Jongno 5-ga (종로 5가) that my friend takes me to. It’s packed with all kinds of second-hand and vintage clothes that come ridiculously cheap, and you can even haggle for the price if you’re still not satisfied.

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset

Last time I went, I managed to grab five different items for 50,000 won ($45/£30). Today, I brought the same amount but only ended up buying two items, which were 8,000 won ($8/£4) each, but I managed to snag them for a combined price of 15,000 won. My friend bought a patterned jumper for 10,000 won ($10/£6) , and our other two friends (we call them the twins… for reasons I hope are obvious) each bought coats for 25,000 won ($22/£15). After shopping, we went to a small café and did a mini photoshoot with our new clothes on out in the -5 degrees celsius weather.


∙ annie ∙

black coat with a cute inner lining patterned with circles ∙ originally 30,000, haggled for 25,000 won

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset


∙ emily ∙

reversible coat, sandy side shown in the first two pictures, burgundy side shown in the bottom two pictures ∙ 25,000 won

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset


∙ vienna ∙

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

So I bought two tops, for a combined 15,000 won.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 presetThe first is this paisley-patterned top with v-neck line, bell sleeves and fringing at the hem. I’ve never bought an item like this before, but have always admired people who could pull it off. I found this among the racks and because I managed to get a good deal, I thought why not! I’ll buy it and if it doesn’t suit me I can give it to Emily (she wanted it too, haha). In the photo above, I had no choice but to pair it with the jeans I was already wearing, but I think in the future I’ll wear this with a pair of shorts and brown boots. Emily said it was perfect to wear at a music festival and I 100% agree.

Processed with VSCOcam with p5 presetThe second item of clothing was this very colourful patterned blouse! My wardrobe is 95% black, and the remaining 5% is all colourful statement pieces such as this one. What I love about this blouse is that I can style it in many ways. As shown in the pictures above, I can wear it tucked in, or open, over a vest. I can also throw a black jumper over the top and let the colourful collar poke through!

Processed with VSCOcam with p5 presetAs a bonus, my boyfriend’s mum gifted me with this adorable tote bag today! She is so kind and sweet, and I am so thankful to her. I’ll use it well!

∙ vienna ∙

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “✧ thrifting ✦

  1. Hello Vienna! 🙂 I came across your blog after looking up some hashtags on Instagram of St Andrews (i hope that isn’t too weird…). I’m from Singapore and I’ve been sneakily reading your posts and finally decided to comment haha! I’ll most probably be on exchange in St Andrews for the coming semester. Fingers crossed. Just wanted to let you know that your blog makes me SO excited because St Andrews seems like such a wonderful place. And omg I luv luv thrift shops and I absolutely love this post, awesome finds! I’m interested in Korean culture and I’ve been learning very basic Korean, can’t wait to visit South Korea someday myself! Have a lovely day 🙂

    1. Hi! no, that’s not creepy at all! i love it when people reach out like that hahaha. message me on instagram or whatever else when you arrive in St Andrews if you manage to come for your study abroad! It would be great to meet you and I’d be happy to help you get settled in 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s